Daylight Savings Is The Perfect Time To Make Sure!
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), 71% of smoke alarm failures are a result of missing, disconnected or dead batteries. A good way to remember to test your smoke detector is when you turn your clocks for daylight savings time.
FACT: In just two minutes, a fire can become life-threatening. In five minutes, a residence can be engulfed in flames.
A working smoke detector significantly increases your chances of surviving a deadly home fire, here are some ways to keep your home safe.
- Install both ionization AND photoelectric smoke detectors, OR dual sensor smoke detectors, which contain both ionization and photoelectric smoke sensors. Stack Electric can help you choose the right product for your home.
- Test smoke alarm monthly.
- Replace batteries in battery-powered and hard-wired smoke detectors at least once a year (except non-replaceable 10-year lithium batteries).
- Install smoke detectors on every level of your home, including the basement, both inside and outside of sleeping areas.
- Never disable a smoke detector while cooking – this can be a deadly mistake.
Did you know that smoke detectors have an expiration date?
Smoke detectors should be replaced every ten years, or as recommended by the manufacturer. The sensors inside the detector will gradually wear out, eventually leaving it ineffective. You can look for the date yours was manufactured right on the back.
And don’t forget the carbon monoxide detectors….
Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on every level of the home and outside sleeping areas.
Are you unsure if your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly? A licensed electrician from Stack Electric can test or replace any detector you have in your home. Don’t delay. Make the call that could save your life, we’ve been helping homeowners throughout the Vancouver area with their complete residential electrical needs for many years. With Stack Electric at the helm, you can rest assured costs are kept down, service quality is unparalleled to any other electrical company, and your home will always be safe.